October 19, 2017, 06:11:56 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

There are two rules for success: #1 Never Tell Everything You Know.

Author Topic: NAS  (Read 1842 times)

dognayr

NAS
« on: September 02, 2012, 09:34:02 PM »
Looking for a NAS as i am constantly moving files between computers and i need an easier way than using a USB so i have gone shopping and have found something i like...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822165256

I have a couple questions though:

1. Does it have wireless capabilities? or does it have to be connected physically to the router.

2. How secure are these things?

3. Is this a good price?

4. Here are the things i NEED:
               a. 2 HDD slots.
               b. at least 2 TB of storage
               c. not too big. this size is perfect.

Offline R4v3N

• Administrator
  • Super Elite
  • Internets: +160/-1
  • The googles and the metasploits...
    • Top-Hat-Sec
Re: NAS
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 10:00:35 PM »
Duane has a drobo...you could check those out. I only have usb external hard drives... mostly 500GB each.. I dont have anything THAT size.

dognayr

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 10:03:57 PM »
drobo???

EDIT: AHHHH I see..... HOLY CRAP! 500 bux?    thats crazy!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:08:16 PM by dognayr »

Offline Duane

• *CWSP Certified*
  • Enthusiast
  • Internets: +12/-0
  • Stayed at a Holiday Inn Express!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 07:34:29 AM »
If you want the best, Drobo is what you are looking for!  They are expensive, but what is your data worth?  I've had two, the four bay 1st generation Drobo, and the Drobo-fs gigabit networkable model.  I've had one issue which was resolved by tech support in under 30 minutes from dialing to resolution.  I have never lost any data and I have been using Data Robotics for the past 6 years!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 08:00:37 AM by Duane »

Offline PhunGus

• Mycelium
  • Enthusiast
  • Internets: +0/-0
  • I am not a bot
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 05:26:36 PM »
I have a few NAS laying around the house and a few others in operation.  All total I would guess I have about 12TB of total storage.   Most of the Buffalo stuff I have bought in the past was reasonably OK but no where near best in class.  In short they work but do not expect great transfer speed.  On the other hand most of the SOHO NAS are not much better.  As for security SOHO NAS are not designed for security they are designed for ease of use and quick time to market.  Most of them can be hacked easily.  I will admit that I have ended up with QNAP products for most of my stuff now because of the price and support.  If it is sensitive I encrypt before it goes on the NAS and due to the nature of commodity HDs I replicate my NAS to a backup NAS so that even if I have a total failure (gotta love lightning) of one NAS I am still in business.
CEH, CISM, CISA, CISSP, CCFE, CRISC, etc.

Offline blackflagg

• Top Hat Member
  • Enthusiast
  • Internets: +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 11:39:35 AM »
I just use an older computer with lotsa sata interfaces and gb lan. My current basement dweller headless box is stuffed with hdd's and running ubuntu server 10.04. Mediatomb packaged runs my mediaserver content and passworded samba shares for file sharing. Pretty low cost actually.

Offline TxDecipher

• Top Hat Member
  • Prospect
  • Internets: +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 01:02:50 PM »