August 21, 2017, 06:48:05 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Feds Seize KickassTorrents Domains, Arrest Alleged Owner -- https://goo.gl/FRHbEJ

Author Topic: Updating Tools in Prallels Desktop  (Read 1505 times)

5UPR4

Updating Tools in Prallels Desktop
« on: April 01, 2013, 02:21:29 PM »
Does anyone know if l can update all the tools in Backtrack when l'm running it through Parallels Desktop on my macbook air? Does update work in a virtual machine?
l normally use a live USB with permanence, but my macbook isn't seeing this.
And Bootcamp doesn't seem to have an option for a hard-drive install in mountain lion, so parallels is the only way, l think.

Offline corr.x86

• Top Hat Member
  • Elite
  • Internets: +10/-0
  • ^That's a lie
Re: Updating Tools in Prallels Desktop
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 02:25:57 PM »
well, of course you can. just do it as if youre doing it on a harddrive. anyway, to dual boot bt5 on a mac, youd need to partition ur mac manually then reboot, plug ur usb in, press alt. you should see ur usb by then, click on it and install. make sure you install it right btw.

if youre really new, dont try it yet. ill try to get a proper tut up. or maybe sw1tch can help you... but anyway, on a mac, vm is the way to go! hahaha
"I have this assignment bla bla bla, can you give me teh codez?"

"www.adoptamalware.com would be a nice website to run."

5UPR4

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 02:31:55 PM »
Thanx Corr. Yeah, l was a bit worried about partitioning my mac.
Which version of parallels would you recommend - l'm using version 7 because l read that v.8 was a bit buggy.

Offline em3rgency

• Elite
  • Internets: +36/-3
  • OSWP SQLi N+
    • Security Research
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 02:36:04 PM »
I used parallels it worked awesome for linux uBuntu. But I had to switch to vmware to get kali to work.

My other computer is your computer.

Offline corr.x86

• Top Hat Member
  • Elite
  • Internets: +10/-0
  • ^That's a lie
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 02:37:57 PM »
i actually use vmware, but i do have parallels in the box. em3rgency said parallels is the bomb cos it has more wifi drivers built into it. but yea, just try one first and see how it goes. and either version would do okay. might be parallels 8 is buggy for windows 8 only. not so sure.

edit: well after emergency posted that, its celar that vmware is the way to go. lol
"I have this assignment bla bla bla, can you give me teh codez?"

"www.adoptamalware.com would be a nice website to run."

5UPR4

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 02:43:41 PM »
em3rgency, that would be 'vmware fusion', right.
l'm going to use BT5 R3, l think. l'm finding Kali a bit of a pain ATM. lt's nice but everything seems to be working in BT.
ls VMware compatiible with usb 3.0, cos my macbook only has those...

5UPR4

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 02:44:54 PM »
OK Corr, we posted same time lol.

Offline em3rgency

• Elite
  • Internets: +36/-3
  • OSWP SQLi N+
    • Security Research
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 05:35:51 PM »
VMware fusion 5 yes. I have both parallels and Vmware fusion. I uninstalled parrallels and now use VMware fusion. it is compatible with the new Kali. and usb3.0. and detect my alfa card out of the box. It runs great! There is a bug on sharing though, I havent fixed it yet, I just copy and paste into the VM desktop for a workaround.

I havent tried dual booting the new Kali, I just run inside a VM. I dont think ill ever dual boot, since the VM runs great.

I gave the Kali 4 gigs ram and 5 processor cores, and 150gig HD and enabled 3d acceleration
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:37:49 PM by em3rgency »

My other computer is your computer.

5UPR4

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 03:37:36 PM »
Yeah, thanx  em3rgency, l tried Parallels and backtrack was working quite fast through it, but as my ssd is only 64gb [what is apple thinking] l was having problems because Parallels wouldn't let me resize it!! l mean backtrack needs about 12.5 gb and Kali wants even more, l think...
So, now l've installed Vmware Fusion 5 and it looks ok - l'm having trouble installing 'vmware tools' from the command line. Do l really need them?? or will it cause problems in the virtual machine.
l seem to be able to apt-get update/upgrade ok.
Yes, l will need it to see my alfa card, too.