October 17, 2017, 09:39:41 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Kali Linux on Mac (WIP)  (Read 9767 times)

Offline cypto

• Top Hat Member
  • Prospect
  • Internets: +0/-0
Kali Linux on Mac (WIP)
« on: April 11, 2013, 09:38:08 PM »
Been racking my brains for nearly 2 days now, trying to get kali linux booted onto a separate partition. If you know any tips that would be great.

Here's the setup.

Macbook with two internal harddrives so no superdrive/dvd

first HD partition table (just for reference)

Code: [Select]
Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1              40          409639   200.0 MiB   EF00  EFI System Partition
   2          409640       232909927   110.9 GiB   AF00  Macbook
   3       233172072       234441607   619.9 MiB   AB00  Recovery HD

second HD partition table (for the install drive)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1              40          409639   200.0 MiB   EF00  EFI system partition
   2          409640       868964159   414.2 GiB   AF00  Customer
   3       869226304      1025476303   74.5 GiB    AF00  Backtrack
   4      1030188944      1264563943   111.8 GiB   AF00  Time Machine
  99      1264563944      1264826087   128.0 MiB   EF02  BIOS boot partition

So far I have managed to get the usb drive to load up using the EFI boot and loaded into grub2.

usb hierarchy for usb drive
/efi/boot

with following files in the boot dir
BOOTX64.efi
grub.cfg
grubx64.efi
boot.iso (kali linux v1.0.2 64bit iso downloaded from kali.org)
MokManager.efi

So the EFI is working fine booting into grub with the "kali linux install option screen" however no matter which option is selected it lands me with.

error: file '/live/vmlinuz' not found.
error: you need to load the kernel first.

Press any key to continue...

I assume this is something to do with the boot.iso as without the iso it loads into grub2 just fine.

Pressing any key just returns back to the Kali Linux install selection screen.

Any help on this would be great.

*Update

Installing to the drive with pendrivelinux installer and adding the EFI files as above, booting into the Kali installer just fine. Now just run into some issues reguarding gpu confliction.

I do realise using Paralells/virtual box would be much easier and I have run from Parallels 8 for some time now, but a true dual boot would not only make sense on the cpu not having to run OSX and KALI but it is also for the challange of getting this working. No fun if things are easy.

*Larger Update

Kali Linux sucessfully installed in dual boot setup on a macbook pro. Rather hacky way getting it to install but is running smoothly now. Once i get together everything used to install it I will make a guide on the process along with a googledrive folder with all the files required if anyone else wants to do it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 05:09:20 PM by cypto »

Offline 3!@cK

• Prospect
Re: Kali Linux on Mac (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 04:59:45 AM »
Nice work!! Yes, I would be interested

Offline 0E 800

• If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
  • Top Hat Member
  • Elite
  • Internets: +154/-0
  • ??? ???????? ?s ?? ??c?c??-???
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 04:00:46 PM »
Just curious, I have an older first generation intel macbook pro running triple-boot (Win8 / THS-OSX / Snow Leopard) I used rEFIT - to accomplish the task. Is that similar to your setup?

I am not really familiar with EFI, that is something being used in more recent laptops? Or is it strictly based on the OS?
"He who passes not his days in the realm of dreams is the slave of the days."

Offline chagui

• Prospect
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 07:39:52 AM »
Hi congrats ,
I'm also very interested by your guide !

Offline aspec

• Prospect
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 11:32:20 AM »
Any update on the guide for a dual boot OSX/Kali Linux setup?  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that some sort of guide comes out for this.

As a side note, has anyone seen a guide anywhere else on the web?

Offline 3y3sm1nd0p3n

• Prospect
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 03:23:47 PM »
Very interested as well...

Offline nullgoon

• Prospect
  • GCIH
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 03:28:46 PM »
 I have spent all afternoon messing with getting Kali booted from the HD on my MacBook Pro. So here are the instructions in only 21 easy steps.  I spent time on this forum and Kali's, so I thought I'd let everyone know how I got it to work.   
I wrote the instructions to be applicable to any EFI machine, not just a Mac.  All you need to know is how to change to boot drive.
Cheers and Thanks

NOTE:  This is a super easy step-by-step instruction list.  Make sure to pay attention to the ****** !!

This is for a Kali-ONLY install on a MacBook Pro.  If you want to dual boot with OSX/Windows, then be very careful when you are using gparted to edit the partitions!!

1. Insert Kali DVD into Laptop and reboot.
2. Press Option/Alt when the laptop is booting (before you hear the chime) keep it pressed until you see the boot drive selection screen show up.
3. Select the DVD when it comes up. (the Label on mine said "Windows" because of the formatting.) The icon is a CD.
4. Select "Live Boot" which is the first selection when grub starts.
5. Go to Applications --> System Tools --> Administration --> GParted Partition Editor
******* Note: if you perform the below step you will erase EVERYTHING on your drive, you are warned*******
6. Erase every partition on your HD until everything is listed as "unallocated space" under File System
7. Click on the "Create a new Partition" to create a new partition.
8. Make sure the partition type is FAT32
9. Give your partition a name.  I called mine EFI.
9. Make sure you adjust the size of the partition. I used 400MB, but that is more than enough.
10. Create the partition. You can click on the "check mark" icon. You should now just have 1 400MB partition that is on the drive.
11. Exit out of GParted.
12. Go to Places --> EFI (or whatever you named your partition)
13. You should now have an empty window.  Right-click and create a new folder named EFI. Go into that folder and create a New Folder named Boot.  This is important. Files should be /EFI/Boot
14. Copy all of the files (except for the Fonts folder) from here: ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/18/Fedora/x86_64/os/EFI/BOOT/ into the /EFI/Boot folder you just created.
15. Reboot your computer. Put the Kali DVD back in the drive when it spits it out.  Hold down option/alt again when you are booting up.
***** You should now see 2 devices on the boot options screen.  1 Drive that says EFI Boot and the DVD that says "windows" If you don't then you messed something up in the above steps.
16. Boot into the Kali DVD.  Select "Graphical Install"  Go through your options until you get to the format disk section.  Make sure you select "GUIDED - Use continous free space"  Do not use entire disk.
***** When you get to the Grub Boot Loader section, tell the Install to NOT INSTALL GRUB to your MBR. If you do you will overwrite the /dev/sda1 partition (which is where /EFI/Boot is) and you will have to start over*****
17. Let Kali finish installing. Put the DVD back in after it installs Kali and hold down option/alt.  Boot from the DVD Again.
18. Go back to Live Boot. Take a look at your devices list. You should see 2 partitions, 1 FAT32 and 1 Kali.  Mount the Kali partition and go to /boot/grub. Open the grub.cfg file and copy the contents.
19. Open the FAT32 partition and go to /EFI/Boot. Open the grub.cfg file and replace it with the contents you copied in the above step.
20. Edit the new file however you want (VI, nano, leafpad) find the lines that say:  linux    /boot/vmlinuz-3.7.... and add "efi" to the end of linux.  Do the same for the lines that start with initrd.
***** You should have edited 4 lines.  They should now say "linuxefi    /boot/vmlinuz-3.7...."    and     "initrdefi     /boot/vmlinuz-3.7....."   without the quotes.
21. Reboot. Remove the DVD.  Hold Down option/alt and select EFI Boot as your boot drive.    You should now boot into Kali.

Hope this helps.   Thanks to albert on the kali forums for the information!