May 26, 2017, 03:38:59 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

"Have you tried turning it off and then on again?"

Author Topic: Alfa Card issues with Virtualbox  (Read 3049 times)

Panrubius

Alfa Card issues with Virtualbox
« on: October 04, 2013, 03:29:56 AM »
Hi guys,

I think I've done my due diligence while trying to find a solution for this problem, I've checked the forums and I've been googling for about the past three or four days but I still can't find a solution.  I'm still really knew to using a lot of these tools, so it's COMPLETELY possible that I've missed something really obvious!  Forgive me if so.

The problem: I can't get my Alfa USB aerial working on THS OS version 3, running inside VirtualBox.

The symptoms: every time I run
Code: [Select]
ifconfig at the terminal, I'm only seeing two network devices,
eth0 and
lo.  Obviously I should also be seeing
wlan0 if the wireless card was connecting properly.

Things I've tried:

1. In VirtualBox, I've opened up the settings for THS OS and under Ports > USB I've added a USB device filter for my wireless card.  So now instead of there being no device filters I have one for ATHEROS UB91C [0108] which is how it should be.

2. In THS OS I ran
lsusb and was given the output:

Bus 001 Device: ID 0cf3:9271 Atheos Communications, Inc. AR927 802.11n
Which says to me that the OS is aware of the device, but some reason I just cannot get it to show up when I
ifconfig.

So that's me stumped, I'm sure there's lots of things I'm missing but I just can't seem to get it working.  Any help you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Other than this problem, the THS OS is awesome :-)

P

Re: Alfa Card issues with Virtualbox
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 04:15:58 AM »
Hey Panrubius
maybe try:

apt-get install firmware-atheos
ifconfig wlan0 up

Offline TAPE

• Top Hat Member Moderator
  • Elite
  • Internets: +192/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 05:47:51 AM »
Also, just in case,  make sure you not connecting to a USB 3.0 port..
Take all the advice you like and then tell everyone to **** off and do your own thing -- Gitsnik

Panrubius

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 07:50:08 AM »
Hi guys,

Unfortunately, using ifconfig wlan0 up didn't work and I'm definitely not connecting to a USB 3.0 port.

Can you think of anything else that might help?

Offline GalaxyNinja

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Internets: +94/-0
  • My password is **********
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 09:02:35 AM »
Hey there Panrubius, what version of Virtualbox are you using? I recently had to switch to VMware because virtual box does not appear to be supported anymore. They did not renew their SSL cert and I noticed that questions posted are not being answered. I Just checked, and it says their website is "down for maintenance now" Everything worked fine with the old version, but the newest version seems to have a few bugs.
A few other things to consider: Did you buy the Alfa from a reliable source? Did you check to make sure that your Exact model is supported by BackBox? Have you tried to run the Alfa in your main OS to make sure it works there? Have you tried to run it in VMware? If it is a virtualbox issue and you wish to work with vb, the only solution may be to download an older version.

Panrubius

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 03:27:32 AM »
Hey there,

I got quite fed up so I switched over to VMware Fusion as well and everything was hunky-dory, so at that point I knew that the problem didn't lie with the card.  It was a bit of a shame, because one of the killer features of of VirtualBox was the headless ability it offered; that way I can keep my VM's on a machine in one room and use them from my laptop if you know what I mean!

The answers to your other questions, in case they are useful:

I'm using the very latest version of VirtualBox, I updated this morning and still the problem persists.
I bought my Alfa from the Hak5 shop, which I think is a reasonably reliable source.
My model is compatible with Backbox.

Thanks for helping :-)

Panrubius

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 03:28:39 AM »
Wouldn't you know it, after all this I just found one of the older Alfa cards which means I can switch back to VirtualBox now anyway :-)

Offline THR4SH3R

• Top Hat Member Moderator
  • Elite
  • Internets: +7/-1
  • Social what?
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 10:14:29 AM »
I have to ask but, did you install the Guest Additions in VirtualBox for the VM you are running? Also did you add the Alfa Card to the machine by going to Devices, USB Devices, then choosing the Alfa Card. After you have done this, you may need to run an

ifconfig wlan up

Hope this helps. Below is also a video I have created in the past of further issues that may arise when dealing with Alfa Cards & VirtualBox. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clRN_JX7rCA

Let me know if you have any success.
The Only System That Cannot Be Exploited, Is The System That Does Not Exist.

Offline Edi0t

• Top Hat Member
  • Experienced
  • Internets: +12/-1
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 10:50:17 AM »
I'm having issues with Win 8. It says the wireless card is a Realtek wireless. I installed the alfa drivers but no success. It keeps failing in the VM. Even after trying everything you guys have. It is also on the 2.0 usb.
#!bin/bash
if [ "Edi0t" = "h4xx0r1n6 73h 61b50n" ]; then
               echo '4ll y0ur b453 4r3 b3l0n6 70 u5'
            else
               echo "d41vd h4553lh0f h4ck5 m0r3 7h3 b3773r 7h4n 3d107"
            fi

Offline Edi0t

• Top Hat Member
  • Experienced
  • Internets: +12/-1
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 02:48:57 PM »
Well, I can get it to see the alfa card. But. for some reason can't use it. This is with Orecal VB.
#!bin/bash
if [ "Edi0t" = "h4xx0r1n6 73h 61b50n" ]; then
               echo '4ll y0ur b453 4r3 b3l0n6 70 u5'
            else
               echo "d41vd h4553lh0f h4ck5 m0r3 7h3 b3773r 7h4n 3d107"
            fi

Offline GalaxyNinja

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Internets: +94/-0
  • My password is **********
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 07:23:04 PM »
Well, I can get it to see the alfa card. But. for some reason can't use it. This is with Orecal VB.

Hey there Edi0t,
1) what version of Alfa Card are you using?
2) have you verified that the version of Alfa Card is compatible in VB? I see the site is up again, that is good.
3) did you check to see if there was an issue with the drivers and windows 8? I noticed a few issues when I googled, but without knowing your card, it's all guesswork ;)

Offline syntropic

• Prospect
  • Internets: +4/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 03:18:08 PM »
Also, just in case,  make sure you not connecting to a USB 3.0 port..

This alone took me 2 days to figure out!

But yes... I got it to work on vbox, and it did take a little while... Just make sure guest extensions and the separate extension pack (on the same page as the regular download) are both installed.  Then install the drivers... I may have even searched synaptic for "atheros" too.. I really cannot remember how I got it installed... but all I know is I feel your pain, but it does work. 

ch3rn0byl

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 04:14:49 PM »
Workstation 10 ftw!!!

Offline traveler

• Top Hat Member
  • Prospect
  • Internets: +2/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2014, 07:15:39 PM »
Just throwing my 2 cents in here also as i too have had a few issues with the alfa card in VB (and VM). I am  using VMware now as i am unsure the status with VB right now (seems quiet lately with them). I have issues where VMware shows the card connected and blackbox, THS OS v3.2, and kali even have not detected it. It seemed like a hit and miss thing. What I learned to do was make sure the alfa card was connected in VM (disconnected in Host) and restart the vm machine. This has worked every time for me. however, while the machine is up and I unplug the card and reconnect it, it seems hit and miss. even swapping to other usb ports to try and force a new detection didnt work most of the time. I am positive this is not in the distros, but in the VM software. Also, I do not have any of VB's extensions nor VMware's extensions installed. I am pretty sure they do not effect basic usb support which is included without the extension tools installed. I know they dont on VMware anyways. Pretty sure it was same on VB.

Basically restarting the distro while the card was plugged in and connected before restart always seems to work for me.

for what its worth, I have the 36NHR V1
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 07:17:48 PM by traveler »
“One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.”

"As above, So below."