April 23, 2017, 08:24:40 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses” -- Henry Ford

Author Topic: Legal Question  (Read 1816 times)

Offline R4v3N

• Administrator
  • Super Elite
  • Internets: +160/-1
  • The googles and the metasploits...
    • Top-Hat-Sec
Legal Question
« on: October 19, 2013, 06:47:27 PM »
So here is my question to everyone. I would like to create some VM's of Xp and Win7 machines for testing purposes only. Am I allowed to post them for you guys to download? Windows W/O activation or serial keys?

Offline H4v0K

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Internets: +985/-1
Re: Legal Question
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 07:43:08 PM »
I dont think you would have an issue  sense its without keys.. but i dont make the rules  :D 

Offline R4v3N

• Administrator
  • Super Elite
    • Top-Hat-Sec
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 08:15:57 PM »
I cant find an email for microsoft legal. I talked to some idiot though that says they dont offer windows trial versions for download yet you can go to technet.microsoft.com and download evaluation copies of windows 8 and 7.

Offline GalaxyNinja

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Internets: +94/-0
  • My password is **********
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 08:23:55 PM »
I thought there was a topic around here that already had those links? Or are you talking specialized "modified" OS's?

Offline R4v3N

• Administrator
  • Super Elite
    • Top-Hat-Sec
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 09:08:12 PM »
I thought there was a topic around here that already had those links? Or are you talking specialized "modified" OS's?

Sam, im not talking about selling them. I wouldnt sell other peoples stuff thats rediculous and im sure microsoft would sue us. Im talking about is it legal to distribute an evaluation copy of windows which you can download from microsoft site for free. Its the 30 day trial or whatever it is. After that you have to purchase a license key.

Offline D4rk-50ld13r

• Top Hat Member
  • Elite
  • Internets: +189/-0
  • I will hack for beer.
    • http://www.ghostsec.org/
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 11:36:08 PM »
So here is my question to everyone. I would like to create some VM's of Xp and Win7 machines for testing purposes only. Am I allowed to post them for you guys to download? Windows W/O activation or serial keys?

Windows products are copyrighted and nothing can change that. However , we IT guys  always cross the line , dosnt matter how legal we want to stay, we do cross the line.
There are  millions of modified, edited  copies of Microsoft products around  . having one more or one less wont change a thing. Microsoft are focused on Windows v8.1 , Mobile , servers and Gaming, . sure they wont bother run after anyone just because he edited a copy of XP or W7.
Oh BTW, dont bother call Microsoft customer service , you will end up feeling like an idiot talking to someone in India who will struggle to understand you and you will start banging your head against the wall cause you will not be able to understand a word of what he says.
I would say. Go ahead , do it , torrent it and let's share it.
God bless.
If you sat a monkey down in front of a keyboard, the first thing typed would be
a unix command.

Offline Moses

• *CWSP Certified*
  • Prospect
  • Internets: +3/-0
  • I have no idea.
    • Tech Worx Computer Solutions
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 01:29:51 PM »
Duane would be a good person to ask. He knows more about Microsoft than most of us. If you can get ahold of him, I haven't had much luck in the past couple of months.

satix

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 09:51:42 PM »
I have a feeling Microsoft has bigger fish to fry ;-)

Go for it

Offline 3therk1ll

• *CWSP Certified*
  • Elite
  • Internets: +12/-1
  • Try, fail, learn, repeat
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 06:36:27 PM »
If it is already openly distributed by MS I expect you'd be ok, providing you aren't distributing activation keys, which you're not.
Do MS use 3rd party download mirrors elsewhere?
Every time [some software engineer] says, �Nobody will go to the trouble of doing that,� there�s some kid in Finland who will go to the trouble.

� Alex Mayfield

Offline mazzif

• Experienced
  • Internets: +19/-1
  • Seals say "ARP ARP ARP!!!"
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 05:56:03 AM »
MS also offers Windows XP free, as a virtual pc image (XP Mode) for Windows 7 users.. Not sure what it means for the legality of making a vmware image but something to consider also.

My hacker box has a Linux system.init

Offline Moses

• *CWSP Certified*
  • Prospect
  • Internets: +3/-0
  • I have no idea.
    • Tech Worx Computer Solutions
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 05:08:11 PM »
I just found out MS is retiring TechNet and is now offering most of their OSs free for eval purposes through their evaluation center. Here is the link.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/evalcenter

Offline doctane

• Top Hat Member
  • Experienced
  • Internets: +14/-0
  • Never should of trusted hollywood!
    • Public key
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 07:29:48 PM »
Think microshaft offers these vms with 90 days usage.. before they shutdown. idea is you can just redo a new "instance"
http://www.modern.ie/en-us/virtualization-tools#downloads

Would be good for testing.  But for the original question.  Not sure.  I know I got a win7 vm for  class I was going to take.  I don't recall the instructor mentioning a time limit on it.  I'll ask him and see what he says.

---
Don't blink, don't move. You feel that, as your worries fade away? You hear that? That's the Sound of Madness, calling for you!