June 24, 2017, 05:01:07 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Support THS!! Buy a t-shirt at the top-hat-sec store! http://www.top-hat-sec.com/store/p23/T-Shirts.html

Author Topic: Anyone using OSX Maverics  (Read 3915 times)

Offline r3k0hu

• Top Hat Member
  • Professional
  • Internets: +48/-0
Anyone using OSX Maverics
« on: October 23, 2013, 03:51:57 AM »
Just downloading now and will test on a couple of machines, but still deciding if the "performance Improvements" will be worth it on my personal machines..

I have a 15" 2011 MBP which I have the bulk on my stuff on, but my concern is Parallels which I run my Linux VMs in - and I also have an older Macbook Air which is more portable for taking out and about and that one runs VirtualBox

I guess there's only one way to find out, but if anyone has already made the leap I'd love to hear your views.

r3k0hu
-43.9515-176.561

Offline Ghost

• Prospect
  • Internets: +2/-0
Re: Anyone using OSX Maverics
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 07:28:48 PM »
Hi, man!
I'm using my MBPs 2011 & 2012 - with full arsenal, few days ago i installed THS & HADES  as stand-along OS(not in VM) and it works perfect! By the way my main OS os 10.9 Maverick, I also using VM or Parallels for this OSs, have no problems 

Offline r3k0hu

• Top Hat Member
  • Professional
  • Internets: +48/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 01:03:28 AM »
sweet - might have to jump in - been trying to create bootable USB for 10.9 with no luck.

Lots of people having the same issue - looks like the installer is corrupting, possibly due to loooooong downloads/high demand.. will try again tonight.

I 'm running THS through Parallels and VirtualBox on various Mac's - might have to look at duel boot on the Air as it struggles a bit. Was it easy getting THS running - I assume using rEFInd?
r3k0hu
-43.9515-176.561

Offline Ghost

• Prospect
  • Internets: +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 06:36:11 AM »
yes, i use rEFInd, but some modify it for my purposes

satix

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 01:06:46 PM »
Well, from my experience on a Mac Mini
*i7
*16G Ram
* Dual 840 Pro SSD in Raid0

I can tell you first hand that it is "snappier" and, the benchmark on the drives are about 10% faster on average vs Lion

Offline c0ldg0ld

• Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Internets: +34/-0
    • Public Key
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 08:05:53 AM »
I also have a 15" late 2011 MBP and I've installed Mavericks.  I can't see any real performance increase but then I've had mine loaded down for a while.  Time to upgrade to SSD!

Over all I guess maps is cool though I'll probably still use google, and I'm thinking that the tagging and color labeling can be cool since I've got so much crap on my computer to wade through when trying to find a file.  Also tabbed finder windows is pretty cool.  I haven't had much of a chance to see if the battery improvements are there but I'll re-post after I've had a bit of time to play with it.
rm -rf /bin/laden

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Public Key

satix

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 09:46:54 PM »
SSD is basically THE upgrade, I would strongly consider the 840 pro, however make absolutely sure you do the firmware upgrade.

Offline c0ldg0ld

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • Public Key
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 11:08:37 AM »
What's the difference in the 840 Pro vs 840 Evo?  I know they use a different type of memory but do you think the Pro is worth the extra money over the EVO?  It sounded like the two types of memory used both had their pros and cons.  From the little I've read it looks like the EVO is the better buy unless you plan on keeping the thing online for over a decade because of the fewer amounts of reads and writes.
rm -rf /bin/laden

Public Key

satix

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 03:58:48 PM »
I've tested the 840 Evo's in raid0 on my mac mini (friend bought two of them and I asked to test them out beforehand) Fresh install and the performance was a solid 20% less compared to the pro's on the same system.

You get what you pay for.

Offline corr.x86

• Top Hat Member
  • Elite
  • Internets: +10/-0
  • ^That's a lie
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 05:56:22 PM »
Fresh install and the performance was a solid 20% less compared to the pro's on the same system.
20% less??
"I have this assignment bla bla bla, can you give me teh codez?"

"www.adoptamalware.com would be a nice website to run."

Offline c0ldg0ld

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • Public Key
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 06:23:42 AM »
20% is a big number... Do they make a Pro in 750gig?  That's what I was going for and I didn't see a Pro in that size, at least not at NewEgg...
rm -rf /bin/laden

Public Key

Offline slyfox

• Experienced
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 08:10:18 AM »
l just bpought a Macbook Pro non-retina mid-2012 @ a bargain price. l got this because everything can be upgraded. lt's actually fast enough for me, but l'll probably get the SSD 840-PRO sometime.
First thing l did was upgrade to Maverick. My question is does anyone know where to get an Alfa AWUS036H driver for Maverick [10.9]. l can't locate one through google. The lasy update with Alfa was 10.5, l think - altough this was working with 10.8 if l remember [not sure].

Offline GalaxyNinja

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Internets: +95/-0
  • My password is **********
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 08:20:24 AM »
Hmm... the only thing I saw on the subject was about Lion. And the Alfa website said that it wouldn't work on 64 bit, only 32bit and to get the NH or NHR for the 64 bit. /me shrugs. Sorry I can't be of more help, however I do not have a mac.  :-\

Offline slyfox

• Experienced
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 09:11:05 AM »
Yeah thanx GN, l just wanted to try Wi-Fi crack or Kismac directly through my macbook, but looks like l'll have to boot up Kali or Bugtraq.

Offline slyfox

• Experienced
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 09:23:07 AM »
Just tried Alfa with Bugtraq 2 Final and it was recognised straight off, so that's a plus.