November 18, 2017, 07:45:30 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

"Have you tried turning it off and then on again?"

Author Topic: Virtual Machine Resource Best Practices  (Read 2058 times)

Offline c0ldg0ld

• Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Internets: +34/-0
    • Public Key
Virtual Machine Resource Best Practices
« on: November 22, 2013, 07:25:50 AM »
I've always been curious and haven't been able to figure out the answer to this myself yet.  What are the best practices as far as how many processor cores to assign to a VM and memory etc.  Say I have a quad core i7 and 16gig of ram.  Is it better to let the VM use all 4 cores and say 4gb ram or do you see more responsiveness from host and vm if you limit it to only using 2 of your 4 cores etc?
rm -rf /bin/laden

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Public Key

Offline H4v0K

• Administrator
  • Elite
  • Internets: +986/-1
Re: Virtual Machine Resource Best Practices
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 08:43:40 AM »
Im not sure what the best way is but i usually just divide everything up if my main PC has 4 cores ill give the Vm 2 cores , and the same with memory i just divide it . i also turn the video memory all the way  if the machine im using has a good video card  and turn on Acceleration .   

Offline s3ntual

• Prospect
  • Internets: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 02:28:14 PM »
From my understanding you can allocate more virtual cores than you have physical . Correct me if im wrong...

But for instance if you have 4 physical cores available, you can easily allocate 6 virtual ones. If you have 8 physical cores then you could allocate 12 and so on

Offline c0ldg0ld

• Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Internets: +34/-0
    • Public Key
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 12:53:11 PM »
I'm running VMware Fusion.  I haven't seen that setting yet but I'll look for it now.  I'm working with a late 2011 15" Macbook Pro 2.4GHz i7 with 16GB Ram.  I feel like it should be performing better than it is so that might be just the ticket. Thanks for the help.
rm -rf /bin/laden

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Public Key

Offline IdkImw

• Top Hat Member
  • Enthusiast
  • Internets: +5/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 02:50:52 AM »
I usually set the virtual processor(s) and core(s) to match my actual host's specifications.

Eg: Host has 1 processor and it is dual core, so I will set 1x virtual processor and 2 virtual cores.

Great links:
http://support.theenterprisecloud.com/kb/default.asp?id=343
http://www.reddit.com/r/vmware/comments/1lbl30/which_is_better_in_processor_settings_in_vmware/
http://superuser.com/questions/21977/is-there-an-optimal-setting-for-the-number-of-cpu-cores-exposed-to-a-vm