November 18, 2017, 07:42:05 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

You Did *NOT* Just Win a Nigerian Lottery...

Author Topic: Dual Boot and Virtualize the Same Partition on Your Computer  (Read 2377 times)

Offline 0E 800

• If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
  • Top Hat Member
  • Elite
  • Internets: +154/-0
  • ??? ???????? ?s ?? ??c?c??-???
Whats up THS. I wanted to know if I could virtualize a partition, instead of creating a whole new VM. So for instance, I have Windows 8 and RTLEb2 running in dual boot. I want to boot up windows but open my RTLEb2 OS without having to create a whole new virtual machine.

Well there is a way to do just that. I haven't tested it yet but its something I am for sure going to try in the near future. Just wanted to share the link encase you guys are interested.

How to Dual Boot and Virtualize the Same Partition on Your Computer:
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-dual-boot-and-virtualize-the-same-partition-on-y-493223329

There is a small catch however;

IMPORTANT NOTE: Never try to mount or read from your Windows partition while you're running Linux in VirtualBox. This is where the danger of this method comes in. If you try to read your Windows partition, your machine will crash and you could cause data corruption (since your host OS is already using that partition). In fact, I recommend removing it from your fstab file so it never pops up in Linux, thus keeping you much safer.
"He who passes not his days in the realm of dreams is the slave of the days."

Offline Gingerbread Man

• *High Tech Low-life*
  • Administrator
  • Elite
  • Internets: +93/-0
Re: Dual Boot and Virtualize the Same Partition on Your Computer
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 06:16:54 AM »

I guess I am just not that eleet...

Offline 0E 800

• If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
  • Top Hat Member
  • Elite
  • Internets: +154/-0
  • ??? ???????? ?s ?? ??c?c??-???
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 08:55:46 AM »

Once I make it happen, the reason will be waiting. :P
"He who passes not his days in the realm of dreams is the slave of the days."

Offline Gingerbread Man

• *High Tech Low-life*
  • Administrator
  • Elite
  • Internets: +93/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 04:07:34 PM »
I've got it!...a Practical Usage Scenario:

You compromise a host...It belongs to a "Security Pimp" at Company X.
He is leet0...he uses Bactrack...his own flavor....But the folks at Company X are cheap...They also have SP doing Admin duties as well as pentesting. In order to interact with the DC, the multitude of in-house tools, as well as use the company IM/Paging service he is forced to use Windows Server 2012/8...Now being a team of one, the higher-ups have also only budgeted one machine for SPs department this year...cutbacks...

So easy answer: DUAL BOOT. Best of both worlds...Get the full power out of your machine...

Now Security Pimp only does full on PT a few times a year...so he spends the MAJORITY of his time in Windows doing admin/engineer work. He manages patches...reviews permissions...parses logs (argh!)...But whenever he gets a chance, like a good security monkey, he keeps up with the latest and greatest and trys his best to stay ahead of the curve when it comes to security threats...

All of this of course necessitates the creation of a test lab. Patches must be tested before roll out...attacks demonstrated on a replica of the production network...But the purchasing folks have made it clear...no new equipment...oh well, no harm...A few dozen VMs and a good hypervisor should do the trick...The company laptop is beefy enough to handle the load...

Now Security Pimp, being an informed user, keeps all of his most sensitive information on the Linux partitions. Creds for pentests, network diagrams, security/change management logs...everything.

But its OK...  Not only does he use a very strong password, but he figures this reduces the attack surface what with Linux being so unpopular to develop exploits for...I mean hell, Windows cannot even read the partition right?...and any files he needs from Windows can be accessed from the Linux side with no issue...Best of Both Worlds eh?...

Pop the Windows side...fire up the Linux partition using the above technique...steal the cheese.

Offline doctane

• Top Hat Member
  • Experienced
  • Internets: +14/-0
  • Never should of trusted hollywood!
    • Public key
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 07:54:19 PM »
this thread made me LOL!

Once I make it happen, the reason will be waiting. :P
---
Don't blink, don't move. You feel that, as your worries fade away? You hear that? That's the Sound of Madness, calling for you!