February 23, 2018, 04:40:21 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Feds Seize KickassTorrents Domains, Arrest Alleged Owner -- https://goo.gl/FRHbEJ

Author Topic: Which Windows to use  (Read 1586 times)

Offline zer0

• Prospect
  • Internets: +0/-1
  • Security Through Fundemental Understanding Cert
Which Windows to use
« on: December 01, 2013, 07:55:01 PM »
Considering giving windows a go for a pentesting platform, was curious what version might be the best to use. Was kind of considering 2k since the hardware is a bit older...

Offline c0ldg0ld

• Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Internets: +34/-0
    • Public Key
Re: Which Windows to use
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 06:21:51 AM »
Are you looking to build a platform to test from or as a system to test against?  If you're looking for something to hack into the general consensus seems to be XP. 

If you're looking to breathe new life into old hardware, I know it's been said before, but Linux is the way to go. 

Linux is really the way to go as far as setting up a machine to use for pen testing other boxes too because of the massive amount of tools available.
rm -rf /bin/laden

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Public Key

Offline zer0

• Prospect
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 08:12:11 PM »
Looking to hack from. Currently running Crunchbang with hacking tools installed on it, which is nice, but there are a few windows specific programs I have yet to get to work/ported over.

Offline albertoloms

• Prospect
  • Internets: +2/-1
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 06:21:52 AM »
Cygwin? :D
Linux is really the way, except for forensics(cause most end users are using win) and playing.

Offline c0ldg0ld

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • Public Key
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 07:22:29 AM »
In that case, I've had the best luck (compatibility wise) with Win 7 32bit.  Until I recently installed XP on a device I'd forgotten how irritating it is when the OS doesn't even recognize your NIC to download the rest of the drivers! 

I've got Win 7 running on a 4 year old Netbook that was not anything special spec wise when it was new.  It has 1 gig ram and an Atom processor and it honestly runs 7 better than it did XP.

I've had a few issues with compatibility of some programs running Win 7 64 bit and even more issues running Win8 but if you're running older hardware you'll probably want 32bit anyway and the ram restriction won't be an issue. 

Edit: On the netbook I mentioned above I dual boot a couple flavors of linux and Win7 (what? I had an extra 1tb drive laying around...) so I have the best of both worlds.  Something to consider.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 07:24:21 AM by c0ldg0ld »
rm -rf /bin/laden

Public Key

Offline 0E 800

• If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
  • Top Hat Member
  • Elite
  • Internets: +154/-0
  • ??? ???????? ?s ?? ??c?c??-???
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 10:04:10 AM »
What specific windows applications can you not live without?

Windows is a butter knife, compared to the Swiss-army samurai sword that is Linux.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 10:06:24 AM by 0E 800 »
"He who passes not his days in the realm of dreams is the slave of the days."

Offline zer0

• Prospect
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 05:05:12 PM »
Skyrim. I can't get it to work for shit. I can run steam fine, just not skyrim. I know...kinda lame reason, but damn it would be nice to not have to be tied to the desktop all the time.
Plus....you don't see windows really being used that way much. People think linux when they think hacking. The dual boot may be an option though....I'd need to image this lappy first though, as everything else is spot on.

Offline GalaxyNinja

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Internets: +96/-0
  • My password is **********
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 08:24:36 PM »
Skyrim is awesome! If you dual boot, just remember to back up everything as sometimes it can corrupt your system.
A computer is only as strong as its user! -R4v3n

Offline c0ldg0ld

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • Public Key
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 05:56:15 AM »
And make sure you've installed Windows first, then your Linux distro.  If you do it the other way around Windows will wipe out Grub.
rm -rf /bin/laden

Public Key

Offline albertoloms

• Prospect
  • Internets: +2/-1
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 09:45:26 AM »
And make sure you've installed Windows first, then your Linux distro.  If you do it the other way around Windows will wipe out Grub.

Not very necessarily. A boot-repair cd will suffice to build up a new grub(did that when i installed 2 linux OS-s before windows. Almost crapped myself when saw that windows was loading automatically).
And yeah, Win 7 is good enough, though it's a mess inside. Like, a shitload messier than XP. Multiple hard links just bloating around everywhere - to confuse the end users what the hell Microsoft is really doing(no, really, i have concluded that Microsoft DELIBERATELY makes windows more confusing every time it releases it's 'new' distro). But again, more drivers and more compatible with modern games(yep, guilty here) and stuff.