February 23, 2018, 04:39:43 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

"Have you tried turning it off and then on again?"

Author Topic: Live boot Windows 7  (Read 872 times)

Offline Priest

• *CWSP Certified*
  • Experienced
  • Internets: +20/-0
  • C://dos.run run.dos.run
Live boot Windows 7
« on: February 20, 2014, 04:35:34 AM »
Has anyone ever tried making a Windows 7 LiveUSB?  I have one that I can use to install win7, but not able to run the OS. 
It was something that came to me yesterday at work, so I was only able to do some surface-searching on the topic.

Offline c0ldg0ld

• Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Internets: +34/-0
    • Public Key
Re: Live boot Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
I've heard of it being done but I've heard it's really a bitch.  There is such a thing and it's easier in Windows 8 called Win2Go.  I can tell you that I know it's supposed to work on certain flash drives (I don't ahve any of these flash drives and haven't been able to make it work on a non-sanctioned one yet) but I have gotten it to work on a USB external HDD.  It's pretty clean and it's a little better than a live install in the linux world as you can install programs and customize it to a certain extent.

Here's one of the articles I've looked at.  There are many out there.  It's supposed to be an enterprise only feature but it can be done with just a regular windows 8 pro iso.
http://www.admin-magazine.com/Articles/Putting-Windows-8-on-a-USB-Drive
rm -rf /bin/laden

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Public Key

Offline mazzif

• Experienced
  • Internets: +19/-1
  • Seals say "ARP ARP ARP!!!"
Re: Live boot Windows 7
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 08:51:53 PM »
I have/use Win7 live USB all the time.  Actually its a little more then that, Dual Boot USB MS-DOS or Win7 Pro 32Bit.  I have my DOS tools and then my Windows tools, all on USB.  I used Winbuilder Win7PE to produce the Windows portion, then copied the needed files to my custom crafted USB.  Right after some initial config, Winbuilder can produce a bootable USB all by itself easily enough.  My Win/DOS package takes up about about 330MB with my needed apps and tools.  You can easily add standalone apps to the Programs Dir on the USB to run them from the Win environment, or include them in Winbuilder to integrate them into the Start menu and whatnot.  An example of my USB application is my HP BIOS Reset tools...Boot to the DOS portion to automatically collect system information, then reboot to Win7PE to run my Windows based app to produce a key based on the information gathered in DOS.  Has Networking support.

My hacker box has a Linux system.init