December 16, 2017, 04:40:53 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

If you are not part of the solution...You are part of the precipitate.

Author Topic: First Mac Book Pro 15  (Read 3764 times)

Offline c0ldg0ld

• Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Internets: +34/-0
    • Public Key
Re: First Mac Book Pro 15
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2016, 09:05:47 AM »
Back when this thread started I loved my Mac.  These days the way they make them impossible to upgrade... I'll just stick with my Late 2011...

The Precision m6800 (work computer) I'm writing this on may or may not have had 2 extra sticks of ram added, a processor change (that's right it has a socket) from i5 4210 to i7 4910, cellular internet card, 2 extra solid state drives and one spinning hard drive, and a lot of TLC :P        <---- THAT is what you should be able to do with a high end machine.  Rip it apart and rebuild and extend its life and usefulness.
rm -rf /bin/laden

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Public Key

Offline s3tix

• Prospect
  • Internets: +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 02:37:46 AM »
I don't mind the lack of upgradability. I bought the MBP for a nice mobile experience. The purposes I use it for it works fantastically. It's been extremely reliable, battery life is wonderful. The keyboard is superb, as well as the trackpad.

Now,

For the "heavy lifting" I have a workstation at home and the office which I built. Laptops are meant to be portable, not to be used for any serious production.

$0.02

Offline GalaxyNinja

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Internets: +96/-0
  • My password is **********
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2016, 06:04:12 AM »

$0.02

Clever way of putting in your 2 cents ;-)
A computer is only as strong as its user! -R4v3n

Offline Gingerbread Man

• *High Tech Low-life*
  • Administrator
  • Elite
  • Internets: +93/-0
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2016, 07:53:35 AM »
...Laptops are meant to be portable, not to be used for any serious production.

0.00002624BTC

Hey...speak for yourself...:P
Ones machines should be as close to continuously upgradable as possible. Limited resources and all...Having an artificially imposed 'end of life' by choking out your hardware and the upgrade cycle (because they buy the same chips and components that everyone else does and cannot engineer such a failure) just to stimulate sales is about as anti-hax0r as I can think of...and pretty typical for Apple.

https://youtu.be/7h4tepFbMso?t=42 "Apple and Steve Jobs' Biggest Mistakes"

IMO...your boxes should provide value all they way down...and provide electric bum massage...and smell like beef wellington...

Offline c0ldg0ld

• Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
  • Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Internets: +34/-0
    • Public Key
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 01:39:38 PM »
I love beef wellington... dammit GBM now I gotta go back to that fancy restaurant in town and get some...

Really Apple makes great hardware, it's never going to be the newest fastest out there for some reason but for the price, it should last you at least as long as my 2011 has lasted me (which is no where near obsolete thanks to my adding a SSD and upping the ram to 16gb).  Having to pay $400 more for an incrementally better processor and a 512gb vs 256gb SSD (and not even having the option for a 750 or 1tb like I have) is just silly.  It looks like at least in the 15" they don't have the two levels of ram any longer but that said you can't get more than 16gb for some reason on any of them it looks like.   I like MAC, I'm not one of those who will bash them just for the sake of bashing them but OSX is nice, it generally runs well and I'll take it over windoze any day BUT the way they are building their hardware smaller and smaller and making it less and less upgrade-able is irritating.  At least continue to make "Pro" version that can be manipulated.
rm -rf /bin/laden

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Public Key