December 16, 2017, 04:48:42 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

CMFP (Certified Metasploit Framework Professional) Course is out! http://www.top-hat-sec.com/cmfp.html

Author Topic: Arch Linux Introduction  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Mmwwaaaa

• Top Hat Member
  • Professional
  • Internets: +58/-1
Arch Linux Introduction
« on: October 16, 2014, 09:12:53 AM »
Hey Peeps,

First of all, Welcome to the new Arch Linux sub-section of THS. Hope we can shimmy this bad-boy into the same standard of quality THS is known for.

Lets start from, well, the start..

INTRODUCTION

- Arch Linux (Arch) is a Linux based OS that is optimized for both i686 & x86_64 ARCHitectures (heehee) or computers. Arch can be super lightweight and is very flexible in every shape and form.

- The design approach of the development team focuses on elegance, code correctness, minimalism, and simplicity, and expects the user to be willing to make some EFFORT to understand the system's operation. A package manager written specifically for Arch, pacman.

- Arch uses a rolling release model, such that a regular system update is all that is needed to obtain the latest Arch software; the installation images released by the Arch team are simply up-to-date snapshots of the main system components.

- The more you research Arch, The more you will read or see references to https://www.archlinux.org/ Also checkout the FAQ for some more basics.

Regards,

Offline s0lst1ce

• player hater
  • Top Hat Member
  • Prospect
  • Internets: +7/-0
Re: Arch Linux Introduction
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 07:31:09 AM »
Oh hell yes!

Offline syntropic

• Prospect
  • Internets: +4/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 06:25:51 AM »
I agree. I see more and more references to  distros with arch Linux as a base.  ArchAssault is a recent distro spun off of BlackArch, another pentest distro...both are good starting points... Or...just install Archlinux to get a feel for it. It's quite different, much more cutting/bleeding edge, but this requires a bit more time spent in the terminal, learning the aforementioned "arch way". But...knowledge is power!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 06:27:45 AM by syntropic »

Offline albertoloms

• Prospect
  • Internets: +2/-1
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 05:54:05 AM »
Knowing the cli really helps. By the time i installed arch first time, i knew cli pretty well. I learned a lot when installing arch(especially how os works). I really recommend doing step-by-step. This way you learn a lot more. Plus, if you fuck up something(as i did repeatedly), there is bigger possibility you would know how to fix those problems.

Offline Mmwwaaaa

• Top Hat Member
  • Professional
  • Internets: +58/-1
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 10:52:39 AM »
So if you are used to Kali and find Arch whack you can always modify your .bashrc to keep that APT feel :P

Code: [Select]
# Custom

alias apt-get update='pacman -Sy'
alias apt-get upgrade='pacman -Su'
alias apt-get install='pacman -S'
alias apt-get remove='pacman -R'
alias apt-cache search='pacman -Ss'

--------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------

Ok now for something actually useful:

alias paclo="/usr/bin/pacman -Qdt
alias pacro="/usr/bin/pacman -Qtdq > /dev/null && sudo /usr/bin/pacman -Rns \$(/usr/bin/pacman -Qtdq | sed -e ':a;N;$!ba;s/\n/ /g')"
Paclo (lo = list orphans) will list all packages which are orphaned

Pacro (ro = remove orphans) will remove orphaned packages

Which raises my next point of whats your favorite alias options, If you have some obscure .bashrc homebrews then throw down, I know you do ;)