August 20, 2017, 10:31:31 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

If you are not part of the solution...You are part of the precipitate.

Author Topic: Top-Hat-Sec Changes  (Read 3190 times)

Offline GalaxyNinja

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
  • Internets: +96/-0
  • My password is **********
Top-Hat-Sec Changes
« on: December 07, 2015, 03:30:44 PM »
Hey there guys! Now, I know what you are thinking...
Changes? We don't want changes, we like the comfortableness of being in our comfort zone.
But, as with every small business, we either eventually have to change, or we will cease to exist.

Also, this is a hacking community. We may be White Hats (or Grey Hats), but we are Top-Hats and as such, as any hacker/pentester must do, we evolve!

R4v3n's dream for Top-Hat-Sec has always been an emphasis on Learning and teaching n00bs who truely want to learn.
As such, we are changing our membership format and it will no longer have such an emphasis on the forum.
Before, membership was almost exclusively about the forum (you had to belong to it to have membership).
Now, membership will be based around learning, such as the courses and ctfs.

Many of you may know that I have not been doing membership renewals for a while, and have even had that part of the store "temporarily down" for almost a month, if not longer.

This has been in part, because we were planning on changing membership and were unsure exactly how it would work.

All current paid members will be grandfathered into the new plan until their membership term has expired.
I will be reviewing membership and emailing people who's membership is up all this month.
Everyone will be current by January 1st 2016 and I will be re-establishing the store in full by 12-8-2015 EST.

Membership will no longer be required to purchase courses.
We will also be releasing our RTLE OS into the non-members section of the forum as we do not wish people purchasing membership just to get the OS.

Membership will now be $10 even for a 1 year membership, or $25 even for a 3 year membership.
Membership will include:
Year round access to the new junior ctf (starting Jan 1st) - Non membership price will be $5 per month for access.
1 free entry into a Tournament CTF (with prizes) - Normal entry into a Tournament CTF is $10. We will have 2 per year (dates to be announced by Jan 1st).
10% off on all courses year round. This will be stackable with any specials we having going on. So if we have a 10% off sale, then members would get 20% off.
The exception to this is for our military which will continue to have a flat 50% discount (with verification).
And of course, access into the members section of the forum if desired.  :)

More posts to come soon!
-GalaxyNinja
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 03:41:57 PM by GalaxyNinja »

Offline r3k0hu

• Top Hat Member
  • Professional
  • Internets: +48/-0
Re: Top-Hat-Sec Changes
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 12:35:01 AM »
Thanks GN - I like the sound of the new membership structure and the THS emphasis on learning. Sounds like you guys have put some serious thought into it

Hopefully will attempt a CTF next year myself - whats the Junior CTF - is that an age or experience based thing?

Keep up the good work and looking forward to an exciting 2016

r3k0hu
-43.9515-176.561

Offline GalaxyNinja

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 04:45:08 AM »
Thanks GN - I like the sound of the new membership structure and the THS emphasis on learning. Sounds like you guys have put some serious thought into it

Hopefully will attempt a CTF next year myself - whats the Junior CTF - is that an age or experience based thing?

Keep up the good work and looking forward to an exciting 2016

r3k0hu,
We have put a lot of thought into it.
The Junior CTF will just be a Practice CTF. So there won't be prizes or anything.
It is not age restricted.
Basically the idea is to get people who have not done ctf's comfortable enough to want to enter a tournament one.
Or it can just be used to sharpen your skills.
CTFs can seem very intimidating and we want  them to seem a bit more 'friendly'.
You can not capture a flag if you do not try.   :)

Offline Malachai

• Top Hat Member
  • Super Elite
  • Internets: +18/-7
  • #!/bin/sh Day/Night (Grey Hat)
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 09:11:45 PM »
I like these changes. I really like the CTF part. Since I been a member for a while I really haven't done any because of time, or didn't really know to much about the material. I know with practice and courses i would love it. This MCSE has been killing me at work cert. But I been coming around these last couple of weeks. Need to put more time, and meet new members. Plus also start helping around..

Now the OS since you mention that will be free I think if we ever decided to update to a new OS or build we would hold off on sharing it on the non-member sections for about 1 month. Do like the Xbox does to it's non-member stuff. Just a thought but whatever you guys decided i know will be fine.

You guys keep up the good work. Let R4v3n know I said hi...  miss our group chat, and meetings. Those were some good old times ...  ;D ;D ;D ;D
** Dont' judge me! **

*//
  Hope that Firewall works because your SCREWED  
  //*

Offline TAPE

• Top Hat Member Moderator
  • Elite
  • Internets: +193/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 03:43:59 PM »
I like it GN, think you are on the right track, good going.
Take all the advice you like and then tell everyone to **** off and do your own thing -- Gitsnik

Offline Grey-Matter

• Top Hat Member
  • Experienced
  • Internets: +57/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 07:40:13 AM »
Not sure if this is relevant for more than me personally. But i wouldn't be here if i didn't buy a membership to get access to the member distro's. I really didn't have any plans to get "particularly" serious about learning sec until i already paid for my membership and decided to say hi. Best decision i made in a long time, but random and lucky that i read a review for a distro and it reminded me about THS. If ALL distro's were public, i woulda just downloaded as a guest and moved along probly, maybe checkin the forum for scripts from time to time.

Not saying it's better to keep em private, cuz i only know what happened with ME, and i'm weird so maybe it was really random. Just want u to take everything into consideration =)

Offline Ov3rd0s3

• *SQL INJECTION CERTIFIED*
  • Enthusiast
  • Internets: +17/-1
  • I walk in the light but reside in the shadows
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 04:50:16 AM »
This is pretty interesting changes. I have to also agree all things change ^.^   // This junior CTF sounds like fun I attempted a CTF down here last week it was alot of steg and cyrpto challanges.... I am not good at those at all =( so now I gotta get my skills up in those places. I also enjoyed the ctf's before and even the challenge VM's. These changes got me interested though......

Anyways cool news =)
Lost In Space from the split OD on acid.

Offline Mmwwaaaa

• Top Hat Member
  • Professional
  • Internets: +58/-1
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 04:54:01 PM »
Today I present to you an idea, A simplistic, awesome idea! << Thank me later :P

Please implement this

Not only can we rid annoying 2/3 word remarks like... Thanks for sharing... Or just thanks.. Let's have a go at making this the place to be huh. Can I get some HYPE:

Offline THR4SH3R

• Elite
  • Internets: +7/-1
  • Social what?
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 01:55:53 PM »
I'm really digging the Vet discount you guys are accepting. It's not the standard 10% that most places give, which only helps you pay the taxes. It is much appreciated!!
The Only System That Cannot Be Exploited, Is The System That Does Not Exist.

Offline GalaxyNinja

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 05:47:32 AM »
Sorry it has been so long since I responded to this post. I seem to always have been in the middle of replying and I would get pulled away by a certain small human requesting help with various issues.

I did look at the Say Thanks option, and while it is a cool idea, at this time, I think it seems too much like the Karma option that we currently use to thank people.
I didn't like the fact that the creator of the Say Thanks mod, couldn't even be bothered to make a few fake sentences when taking pictures to show off the mod, either. It just makes me nervous.  :)

I Definitely want to do some cool stuff to the forum and also get that wiki up! Just been overwhelmed and swamped with the ctf etc stuff.
I also want to get a few VM boxes on the Practice CTF, I think it will be fun! Just working on my skillz (or lack of, in some areas) at the moment.

We are not planning on creating a new THS-OS to my knowledge. The RTLE was made so it could be updated by the registries (until they eventually disappear, I suppose). We are trying to focus more on tutorials and such that help people create and modify their own!
We have had some members already post some tutorials on how to do this, which is awesome!!!
I think that is another area the Wiki will be very good in as well.

If y'all are interested in the CTF and have not received an email (check your junk mail too), you can always feel free to shoot me an email.
I still have over 150 emails to send out, but got distracted trying to put up some more challenges this past week.
I also got distracted by life in general! There are Never enough hours in the day or days in the week!

Catch you guys around!
-Galaxy

Offline THR4SH3R

• Elite
  • Internets: +7/-1
  • Social what?
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 03:32:52 PM »
Where's R4V3N been lately??
The Only System That Cannot Be Exploited, Is The System That Does Not Exist.

Offline ch3rn0byl

• Top Hat Member
  • Experienced
  • Internets: +1337/-0
  • Grumpy Old Man with Mounds of Salt
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 04:35:00 PM »
Where's R4V3N been lately??
You didn't hear what happened??
The quieter you become, the more you are unlikely to sound stupid.

Offline GalaxyNinja

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 12:59:31 PM »
R4v3n now does pentesting as a full time job.
He also teaches a class (for his job) at his work after normal work hrs 2x a week.
The classes vary from RE to Metasploit to Bash, etc.
So he is a bit burnt out and is taking a breather before the first tournament CTF hits.

Recently in his time off, he has created an Arma3 server, complete with a training arena and is having fun with new recruits there.
You can find the website at http://paladinpmc.weebly.com

So in answer to what does a pentester do when he gets burn out?
Programs an entire server!  ;)

Don't worry though guys, I'm holding down the fort.
It's about time I use my brains to go more in-depth into the hacker world!  :)

Offline Gingerbread Man

• *High Tech Low-life*
  • Administrator
  • Elite
  • Internets: +93/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 01:13:07 PM »
Last known picture of R4v3n...

Offline Mmwwaaaa

• Top Hat Member
  • Professional
  • Internets: +58/-1